- I’m spending time learning Visual Studio 2005. This product is very cool! I’m looking forward to it being my full time IDE. Hopefully the bugs that some people have encountered with it won’t be an issue for me and my team of kick-ass developers (most of whom have already fallen in love with the kit and can’t wait for us to move our main application over).
- I’m intrigued by Asterisk, the open source phone system. At our office we are using a Cisco phone system, and it works very well. The problem is that I don’t see it being affordable for a really small office. It looks like Asterisk might be able to do the job. It’s pretty funny – I’d link to the Cisco site for more information on their product, but it is impossible to find a simple page that describes what they do in the VOIP world. Instead there are 1000 pages that all describe bits and pieces. I’m sure a good link is in there somewhere, but screw ’em – if they can’t make it easy, then no link love for them. This research has nothing to do with work – I’m just curious.
- Linux continues to intrigue me. In the "good old days" I worked a bit with Unix, even on an IBM RT system. While I find my lack of skill (currently) with Linux frustrating, I do know that if I pick up a bit every day, soon I’ll become capable in it.
- Microsoft continues to push my buttons when it comes to open source. Keep in mind, I am not an open source fanatic, but I appreciate what all the coders out there are doing for the greater good. Recently MS has done such stupid stuff as tell the world that 3rd world countries don’t need open source software, and even going to the extent of having the UN remove any reference to open source in a document they had prepared for a summit. From now through the next few years, MS needs to do the absolute minimum to piss off the world, instead, they keep on doing everything they can to make everyone hate them.
- I’m working on getting my web site DotNetBugs.com up and running. This will be a location to log and comment on any and all bugs that we run into as developers on the .NET framework. This will be open to MS products and other products built on .NET.
- I’m pining for an XBOX 360. I don’t have enough toys yet – haven’t blown a circuit breaker at home in a long time!
- Deb and I are going through some flying videos that we have – I need to get my license updated before we can go flying with her as a passenger – need my medical renewed and to spend probably 10 hours with an instructor to shake off the rust and get my biennial review done. She’s pretty stoked about getting her pilot license, but the costs are a bit staggering these days. I’m sure once we are both licensed, the urge to own a plane again will be strong! In the meantime, she points out that in the 6 years we’ve been together, I’ve never taken her up in a plane. Yikes!
Well, there we go. I’ve got a bunch more on my plate, but this is what I’ve thought about already this Sunday morning. Perhaps i need some Focusyn 🙂
If you do read this blog, plop a note in the comments, let me know I haven’t lost all my readers!
Time to go get some breakfast!